Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An acute contagious viral disease, with fever and pustules that usually leave permanent scars. It was effectively eradicated through vaccination by 1979.Also called variola
- ‘Both anthrax and smallpox vaccines have been in use for a long time, but there are few other similarities between them.’
- ‘Who knew until it was too late that the blankets were ridden with smallpox and other communicable diseases!’
- ‘Of the biological weapons, anthrax and smallpox are the most feared.’
- ‘Anthrax just isn't the public health disaster that smallpox has the potential to be.’
- ‘This has been illustrated by the elimination of other viral infections such as smallpox.’
- ‘There have been few articles on the risks of smallpox or of the vaccine in the popular media.’
- ‘Hahnemann, the founder of homoeopathy, was a supporter of smallpox vaccination.’
- ‘Animal research has led to vaccines for rabies, smallpox, rubella, measles and anthrax.’
- ‘Terrorists can bring back diseases like smallpox and they can even create their own.’
- ‘As a naturally occurring disease smallpox is potent and as a weapon of biological warfare it is terrifying.’
- ‘The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.’
- ‘He seems to suffer from the impression that the vaccine is just as contagious as smallpox.’
- ‘Malnutrition was rife, as were diseases such as tuberculosis and smallpox.’
- ‘It is possible that one or both of these pandemics were due to smallpox, or even measles.’
- ‘Disease was rampant and smallpox, typhus, typhoid and dysentery made death familiar.’
- ‘The most likely diagnosis was thought to be a severe viral infection - but not smallpox.’
- ‘Although thousands of Barbadians died from yellow fever and smallpox, Quakers were particularly hard hit.’
- ‘Polio will be the second disease after smallpox to be eradicated.’
- ‘For 130 years or more after Jenner introduced a vaccine for smallpox this was the only vaccine in general use.’
- ‘There now seems a real prospect that, like smallpox, polio may be eradicated entirely from the world.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.