Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small boat or fishing vessel.‘small craft will be able to pass underneath the bridge’‘you will obtain the knowledge required to skipper a small craft safely in tidal waters’
- ‘The U.S. Coast Guard had posted a small craft advisory and a warning sign about rough conditions on the bar that morning where 10-foot waves were breaking.’
- ‘Her ship's company visited 74 villages, boarded 13 major ships and questioned the occupants of 20 small craft and canoes.’
- ‘York's salvage had to be abandoned, and her officers and men were sent to the mainland to act as beach parties and communication numbers, and to man the small craft employed for the withdrawal.’
- ‘The versatile helicopter carried a huge Australian National Flag up and down the harbour as a massed flotilla of ships and small craft paraded.’
- ‘‘Yacht or small craft designers specialize in vessels under 200 feet in length,’ said Dave Gerr.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.