Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A local court in which claims for small sums of money can be heard and decided quickly and cheaply, without legal representation.
- ‘Tribunals retain a degree of impartiality and frequently operate as specialist small claims courts, but are better suited to the needs of administration, as they are less encumbered by procedure and not strictly bound by precedent.’
- ‘Should their car need remedial work, depending on the fault and age of vehicle, they may be able to claim through the small claims court.’
- ‘If the period is longer than three months then you have lost the right to a tribunal, however you can claim through the small claims court which has the power to go back six years.’
- ‘The couple were each owed £165 and after waiting since February, Mr Morrison said he thought he would have to take Mr Montgomery to the small claims court to recover their money.’
- ‘You can go to the small claims court to claim up to £5,000 in England and Wales, £2,000 in Northern Ireland and £750 in Scotland.’
- ‘He did eventually get his £117.50 back membership fee back - but only after he took his claim to the small claims court.’
- ‘I think that in order to make a good judgment, especially in a court like the family court or even a court like the small claims court where I now preside you have to listen.’
- ‘Hundreds of years ago manorial courts acted as local parliaments, small claims courts and land registry.’
- ‘One victim, Gilbert McDonald, is so angry he is using the small claims court to sue the person who took his money off him.’
- ‘If all this fails to inspire them to act, you may have to resort to the legal system through the small claims court or other redress.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.