One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But the disadvantage to small-timers in the current system matters because getting a permit is the only way to access the dwindling number of sites in the Canadian Arctic with known or probable mineral deposits.’
- ‘Whatever the proximate causes in such situations, fundamentally the problem is that small-timers with their local concerns acquire disproportionate clout when the electoral verdict is not clear-cut.’
- ‘Large businesses don't care so much about regulation - medium-large ones can eat the cost, supersized ones can finagle the regs so that the rules actually favor them - but small-timers have neither money nor pull.’
- ‘He dealt fair as you come, always paid his source, always gave respect to the Bosses and didn't bully small-timers like me.’
- ‘In New York, they were far from Silicon Alley; they were self-conscious small-timers in an unself-conscious era of wealth and growth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.