One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pellet containing a substance poisonous to slugs, placed among growing plants to prevent them being damaged.
- ‘I don't like putting slug pellets down because I imagine them going through all sorts of agonies as they slowly die.’
- ‘Chemical slug pellets and baits that contain metaldehyde are widely available commercially, however label directions must be followed carefully.’
- ‘I can't think of a green remedy for woodlice, but as far as the snails are concerned, scattering slug pellets on the ground (inside the greenhouse so birds won't be affected) should help a bit.’
- ‘For example, I strongly oppose weed killers, fertilisers, slug pellets and the like, whilst all and sundry throw the stuff all over the garden.’
- ‘Salt and slug pellets, which also pose a threat to other wildlife, will soon get washed away.’
- ‘In 1982 I dare say I bought packets of chemical slug pellets by the gross.’
- ‘‘I'm after slug pellets,’ I said, ‘but can't figure out how to get round to them.’’
- ‘The least desirable road to go down is chemical slug pellets, which will kill the slugs but also all other wildlife in the vicinity, including birds.’
- ‘There was a time when I would sneer disdainfully at gardeners who resorted to those ugly big vats of non-organic, environmentally unfriendly slug pellets.’
- ‘Tentative efforts to avoid using slug pellets turn into an outright war, devoid of morals or compassion.’
- ‘We want to make sure the release sites have no slug pellets, dogs, badger sets or ponds which the hedgehogs could fall into.’
- ‘Prevent access to gardens where pesticide or fertilisers have recently been used, especially slug pellets and rodent baits.’
- ‘It also revealed she never uses slug pellets because they can kill hedgehogs, she doesn't buy peat and has a compost bin.’
- ‘A recent example is a family who have been putting slug pellets on their child's grave, which is not allowed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.