One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A neutron with low kinetic energy especially after moderation.
- ‘In contrast, uranium 238 has an even number of neutrons and slow neutron bombardment does not cause fission.’
- ‘In a series of experiments, he also found that slow neutrons were efficient agents of nuclear transformations and won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1938.’
- ‘The safe operation of a reactor requires that the multiplication of slow neutrons be controlled throughout the fission cycle.’
- ‘The probe contains a source of fast neutrons, and the gauge monitors the flux of slow neutrons scattered by the soil.’
- ‘The first genuine transuranic element was discovered at Berkeley, where Edwin McMillan used Lawrence's cyclotron in 1939 to bombard uranium with slow neutrons.’
- ‘Much to Fermi's surprise, the slow neutrons were extremely effective in the production of nuclear reactions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.