Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large spoon with slots for straining food.
- ‘Have a large plate or tray with a wad of kitchen paper and a slotted spoon handy, and warm a serving dish.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, scoop large curds into molds, filling the molds to the top.’
- ‘Remove them from the skillet with a slotted spoon.’
- ‘Remove with a slotted spoon, add another tbsp oil and gently fry the vegetables for five minutes or so.’
- ‘Remove the shellfish from the cooking liquid with a slotted spoon.’
- ‘The bubble solution can be poured into a large, round pot where you can experiment with different kinds of bubble makers, from plastic six-pack rings to slotted spoons to wands made of twisted pipe cleaners.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a warm soup tureen.’
- ‘Remove onion and potato, using a slotted spoon, and place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.’
- ‘Remove the melon pieces with a slotted spoon, and cook the syrup for another 5 minutes, until thickened.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, transfer artichokes to a food processor fitted with the metal blade.’
- ‘Remove the softened vegetables with a slotted spoon to the bowl of your food processor.’
- ‘Transfer them to a warm serving dish, scoop the grapes and walnuts out too with a slotted spoon, and spoon around the birds.’
- ‘When this occurs, remove the tomatoes from the water with a slotted spoon, and place them on a cutting board.’
- ‘Dirt and heavier particles will fall to the bottom and you can scoop the cleaned sunflower seeds out with a slotted spoon or strainer.’
- ‘Remove from the heat, place over medium heat, and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the bones to a large saucepan.’
- ‘Blanch the asparagus spears in boiling salted water for two minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and dry on kitchen towel.’
- ‘Remove onions to a baking sheet using a slotted spoon to drain them, and let cool.’
- ‘Let the liquid settle for 5 minutes, then skim off fat (either with a wide slotted spoon or pads of kitchen paper).’
- ‘When 1 to 2 cups of fruit accumulate, stir and remove the fruit with a slotted spoon.’
- ‘Remove with slotted spoon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.