Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Drunk.‘I drank a lot of wine and got sloshed’
intoxicated, inebriated, drunken, befuddled, incapable, tipsy, the worse for drink, under the influence, maudlinView synonyms
- ‘To make a long story short, Billie got ten different kinds of sloshed and I had to drag her half-naked, inebriated self off the table where she'd been stip-dancing for some jocks.’
- ‘The only thing that popped into his sloshed mind was how to get home.’
- ‘There are frogs and toads, and the slugs in the garden must be the luckiest in Stromness because they are tempted by jars of father's home-brew, which he uses to capture and kill them: sloshed slugs to the slaughter.’
- ‘She had already fixed her hair and her makeup - thanks to Giselle's careful coaching, Em now knew several ways to apply the stuff to her face so that she didn't look like some sloshed transvestite.’
- ‘Salvation comes in the image of my sloshed friends.’
- ‘The large sloshed fellow was a fullback from the football team.’
- ‘If parents stopped shoving cars and money in bulk at their sloshed sons, Navalkar wouldn't have anything to write about in his weekly columns.’
- ‘Rolling his eyes, Riga pushed to a table and was just yanking a sprawled, senselessly sloshed man off the bench to clear them a spot when the music cut abruptly, the din of voices dying with it.’
- ‘‘For $500 a month, I'll kill anyone you want,’ the sloshed Algren burbles.’
- ‘Wyatt and Mack took full responsibility and hoped Emma wouldn't reprimand them too badly the next morning for getting her sloshed and allowing her to humiliate herself.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.