One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
black, jet-black, pitch-black, as black as pitch, pitchy, pitch-dark, inky, ink-black, coal-black, ebony, raven, sable, sootyView synonyms
- ‘He peered upwards at the moon, full in a cloudless sloe-black night sky.’
- ‘The starkness of Finnish life - and the sloe-black humour that is part of it - loses none of its richness of expression for English-language audiences.’
- ‘Her sloe-black hair hung unkempt about her face.’
- ‘A sloe black stallion who had fallen on his side, onto the shaft, desperately thrashed about, flailing his hooves against the slippery roadway.’
- ‘Its berries are produced in large clusters, but are of a sloe-black color, producing a pretty appearance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.