One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
black, jet-black, pitch-black, as black as pitch, pitchy, pitch-dark, inky, ink-black, coal-black, ebony, raven, sable, sootyView synonyms
- ‘Its berries are produced in large clusters, but are of a sloe-black color, producing a pretty appearance.’
- ‘The starkness of Finnish life - and the sloe-black humour that is part of it - loses none of its richness of expression for English-language audiences.’
- ‘Her sloe-black hair hung unkempt about her face.’
- ‘He peered upwards at the moon, full in a cloudless sloe-black night sky.’
- ‘A sloe black stallion who had fallen on his side, onto the shaft, desperately thrashed about, flailing his hooves against the slippery roadway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.