Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lamp which emits a narrow but intense beam of light, used for examining the interior of the eye.
- ‘Under slit lamp examination, the cornea may appear unclear, with visible patches of cloudy haze in the flap interface.’
- ‘On slit lamp examination, this appears as multiple, focal, swollen lesions that stain with rose bengal or fluorescein dye.’
- ‘The eye is examined with a slit lamp, a microscope designed for eye examination.’
- ‘The cornea, aqueous, iris and pupil should be examined with the slit lamp.’
- ‘In this instance, copious irrigation with saline and a thorough slit lamp examination should be carried out.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.