Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lamp which emits a narrow but intense beam of light, used for examining the interior of the eye.
- ‘In this instance, copious irrigation with saline and a thorough slit lamp examination should be carried out.’
- ‘The eye is examined with a slit lamp, a microscope designed for eye examination.’
- ‘Under slit lamp examination, the cornea may appear unclear, with visible patches of cloudy haze in the flap interface.’
- ‘The cornea, aqueous, iris and pupil should be examined with the slit lamp.’
- ‘On slit lamp examination, this appears as multiple, focal, swollen lesions that stain with rose bengal or fluorescein dye.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.