Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bath with one high end to lean against and the other end covered over.
bathtub, tub, hot tubView synonyms
- ‘Beside this is the family bathroom with an antique cast iron slipper bath with claw and ball feet and a shower attachment.’
- ‘I didn't let on to a big disappointment - my beautiful slipper bath, which I'd bought months ago, was not the extra-long one I'd ordered but some miniature version.’
- ‘An alternative to having a bath at home was to go to the slipper baths at Moss Street.’
- ‘The lavish family bathroom on the first floor return has a large cast-iron slipper bath with telephone shower, a separate shower and a vanity unit.’
- ‘It survived two fires in 1968 and 1969, and there was panic in 1930 when a 10-ton Southampton Corporation steam roller raced across Western Esplanade and crashed into the walls of the slipper baths.’
- ‘The battle to save the city's Leeds Road laundry and slipper baths has been lost.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.