One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cartilaginous disc between vertebrae in the spine that is displaced or partly protruding, pressing on nearby nerves and causing back pain or sciatica.
- ‘Anwar, who left jail in a wheelchair, suffers from a slipped disk and spinal stenosis, a narrowing of space in the spine that results in pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots, according to his aide Azmin Ali.’
- ‘But while the principal loading hypothesis can explain gross injuries, such as fractures in vertebrae or slipped discs, it does not explain the vast majority of cases of back pain.’
- ‘There is also a gentle gravity-fed traction device for those with a slipped disc or sciatica.’
- ‘Anyone suffering from slipped discs or sciatica etc. should inform the therapist so she can devise a special program of exercises for them.’
- ‘Rogers said: ‘I had problems with back pain and it turned out to be a slipped disc.’’
- ‘The main symptom of a slipped disc is sudden, excruciating back pain with severe back muscle spasm.’
- ‘I, personally, have two slipped discs that require me to regularly walk for exercise.’
- ‘A slipped disc usually happens when the back is bent forward.’
- ‘Tom claims to have healed bad backs, slipped disks and cataracts, and he claims to have cured two people who were in the early stage of cancer.’
- ‘Several years ago, when she'd been employed at the firm for six months and married for just three, her husband suffered a slipped disk and was flat on his back for six months.’
- ‘Pam Smith sustained serious back injury, including a slipped disc, concussion and severe bruising.’
- ‘As a result of our upright, bipedal posture, we surfer a huge catalog of woes, including slipped disks, fallen arches, wrenched knees, hernias, and aching necks.’
- ‘The treatment spectrum ranges from regular backaches to slipped discs.’
- ‘Mr Byard told the inquest she had been in severe pain for months with a slipped disc, and then discovered a lump in her breast.’
- ‘Half of his patients suffer from lower back pain problems, caused by a slipped disc, muscle or ligament strain, trauma or work-related injury.’
- ‘The high tolerance for dull pain can be a bad thing; I apparently have had a slipped disk in my lower back for over a year that I've just been ‘living with’.’
- ‘A slipped disc happens when the disc between the bones bulges and presses on nerves.’
- ‘This condition is called a pinched nerve, slipped disc, or herniated disc.’
- ‘‘In addition, he has recently suffered a slipped disc and on the day of this offence the pain he was suffering became unbearable,’ she said.’
- ‘An explanation for the good results of acupuncture at slipped disks is the fact that hurt is not only effect but also cause of this disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.