One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A removable fitted cloth cover for a chair or sofa; a loose cover.
- ‘No-sew slip covers, frosted glass doors, distressed-paint dressers, punched tin screens and stencilled wicker chairs, as well as decorative fabric hangings and draperies are some of the funky, colourful and fun projects laid out.’
- ‘Have the sofa reupholstered or make some slip covers.’
- ‘I love my couch with its rose-covered slip cover.’
- ‘I would suggest slip covers unless you really want to experiment.’
- ‘If you sew, you might try making a slip cover you can easily remove and replace as necessary.’
- ‘I also made a slip cover for both cushions out of retro fabric, which I will include.’
- ‘I know I could make a slip cover, but I like the texture of the existing fabric. is it possible to dye the chair as is or will I ruin the piece?’
- ‘Replacing old carpet, adding wall hangings or purchasing a slip cover for an old sofa are cost-effective cosmetic changes that make a less-than-ideal room appear more suitable.’
- ‘I am wanting to dye my ‘over stuffed’ sofa's slip covers.’
- ‘Other small things like making slip covers for the chairs or buying tablecloths are done frequently by the students.’
- ‘Today, with a spirited 2-year-old in the house, serious redecorating gives way to slip covers and throws, durable furnishings to withstand the energies of a toddler.’
- 1.1 A jacket or slip case for a book, CD, or DVD.
- ‘The packaging itself is slimmer than the previous release, with a slip cover that holds the usual fold-out gates.’
- ‘Inside of a plastic slip cover, an embossed logo is placed on construction paper envelope.’
- ‘The author of this book is described on the slip cover as a ‘free lance journalist who has devoted much of the last ten years to studying… Caesar… and the… late Roman Republic.’’
- ‘The retail sample we received has a box (complete with a plastic handle), with a slip cover outlining the product specifications and features.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.