Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A simple organism that consists of an acellular mass of creeping jelly-like protoplasm containing nuclei, or a mass of amoeboid cells. When it reaches a certain size it forms a large number of spore cases.
- ‘There, Gypsies find and gather what scientists call slime mold, and bake it with flour into rocks.’
- ‘Multiple rows are observed in the glaucophycean algae, some red algae, chlorophycean and ulvophycean green algae, the slime mold Dictyostelium and the tunicates.’
- ‘It turned out to be a carnivorous fungus called a slime mould.’
- ‘The nematode is clustered with the acellular slime mold, the cellular slime mold, the malaria parasite, and the dysentery amoeba.’
- ‘Fortunately, mycologists quickly dismissed any Extraterrestrial Biological Entity hypothesis and identified the blobs as part of a slime mold or myxomycete.’
- ‘Other studies have reported that calcium ions are required for phototaxis in Cryptomonas sp. and the slime mold Physarum polycephalum.’
- ‘Insect, bacteria and slime mold communities coordinate growth processes based on interactions among chemical trails left behind by individuals.’
- ‘In three trials out of 19 the slime mould continued to occupy the whole maze, and in another two seems to have refused to play the game altogether.’
- ‘So far, 11 myosin genes have been identified in the slime mould Dictyostelium discoideum.’
- ‘The slime mold's simple life cycle and the ability to grow large numbers of cells easily, together with the possibility of genetic manipulation, make it an attractive system for developmental study.’
- ‘The plasmodium of the true slime mold Physarum polycephalum is a multinucleate organism not subdivided into cells.’
- ‘When resources dwindle, the slime mold is reprogrammed to produce spore-bearing fruit bodies.’
- ‘In fungi, plasmodial slime mold displays a diploid life history.’
- ‘Has Human life no more meaning than the life of slime mould?’
- ‘Studies in yeast and slime mould have demonstrated that CK2 is essential for cell viability.’
- ‘What's more, these results led Simon and his colleagues to investigate an age-old, baffling question about slime mold behavior.’
- ‘Zooming in for a close-up of a slime mold, you can observe the branching network patterns that emerge as the mold grows.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.