One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A door drawn across an aperture on a groove or suspended from a track, rather than turning on hinges.
- ‘He got it all by building a second interior wall at the rear of the house, creating the pockets for the sliding doors.’
- ‘The sliding doors to the balcony are open, but the screen doors are still closed.’
- ‘A large steel staircase led up to a second floor with two sliding doors.’
- ‘Immediately ahead is a country-style kitchen which has sliding doors leading to a patio area in the back garden.’
- ‘They developed a full range including pivot doors, sliding doors, square sliding doors and curvy ones.’
- ‘The living room is exceptionally bright and has a cork floor and sliding doors to the patio.’
- ‘The living room includes a fireplace fitted with a coal-effect gas fire as well as sliding doors opening onto a small patio.’
- ‘I knew the sliding doors a few doors down from us led to the elevator, so I turned myself invisible and waited.’
- ‘Across from the door was a large window with a sliding door, offering a view of the busy street below.’
- ‘Sheath the three walls that need plywood, and get the sliding door working.’
- ‘And when you have the sliding door out of the track, give the sill and channel a good cleaning.’
- ‘Each time the sliding doors leading to the tracks open, a rush of cold air fills the station.’
- ‘The van had a side sliding door and a rear door, and has been described as looking similar to a police van.’
- ‘Then I moved into my own space, but all it comprised was a recess off the main room separated by hardboard sliding doors.’
- ‘This room has sliding doors that lead to the rear patio and a door to the family room.’
- ‘You also want window coverings that can function equally well at the windows and at the sliding doors.’
- ‘The master bedroom is quite large and has a beamed ceiling, wall-to-wall windows and sliding doors to the rear patio area.’
- ‘Unadorned windows, sliding doors, and glass porch railings bring in the view.’
- ‘The breakfast room has wooden floorboards and sliding doors to the rear patio.’
- ‘The eastern wall features extensive glazing in the form of sliding doors with Brazilian cedar window frames.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.