One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A valve in the form of a cylinder which slides to cover and uncover an inlet or outlet.
- ‘Three or four way spool and sleeve valves are compact and provide long life cycles.’
- ‘The sleeve valves will be able to discharge a maximum of 25 cumecs each.’
- ‘I understand that it wasn't poppet valves, nor sleeve valves, and certainly not disc valves.’
- ‘Altogether, 130,000 sleeve valve aero engines were built mostly by the Bristol and Napier companies.’
- ‘The best way I know of to see how a sleeve valve engine works, is to take one apart.’
- ‘The fuel is admitted to each cylinder and the waste gases exhausted through mechanically operated poppet valves or sleeve valves.’
- ‘The sleeve valve is the only alternative to the poppet valve that has enjoyed significant commercial success.’
- ‘Equal force should be exerted over each pin to avoid breaking the handle or cocking the inlet sleeve valve.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.