One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An article printed on a record or CD sleeve giving information about the music or musician.
- ‘Add the banana-yellow sleeve design to Michael de Koningh's earnest sleeve notes, and this compilation cannot be missed.’
- ‘The packaging features comprehensive sleeve notes and biography from US music writer Rich Kienzle and exclusive photographs from throughout Cash's career.’
- ‘Cindy Walker of the Country Music Association in America wrote the sleeve notes for the last album recorded by Jim before his death in 1964.’
- ‘Avoid the sleeve notes at all costs; they begin ‘Dear Listener ‘and go rapidly downhill from there.’’
- ‘This is made perfectly clear in his sleeve note from the 1950s.’
- ‘In some excellent sleeve notes written especially for this re-issue, Harley reveals the background to, and inspiration for, some of the songs which will prove fascinating to long-term fans of the band.’
- ‘Nigel Kennedy, if you didn't know it already, has done more for Vivaldi than any other musician alive - according to these sleeve notes, that is.’
- ‘The music apart, his astonishingly comprehensive sleeve notes must amount to one of the most important additions to Schubert studies for many years.’
- ‘A preliminary scan of the sleeve notes reveals that the majority of the record is taken up with the sort of typically American guitar-based rock that is all over the airwaves just now.’
- ‘As the album sleeve notes record: ‘His response to the tragedies was to sing, because that is what he does.’’
- ‘The flimsy, irritating cardboard sleeve and rather pretentious sleeve notes don't help.’
- ‘Excellently packaged and with informative and evocative sleeve notes, this just might be the best reissue of the year.’
- ‘The sleeve note compares it to a Strauss symphonic poem, which is a reasonable supposition.’
- ‘The musicians also provide sleeve notes and privileged access to their personal photo archives.’
- ‘Neither did she acknowledge him on the sleeve notes of her debut album.’
- ‘Emerson's mixing feels very much ‘on the fly’ and as he says in the sleeve notes, ‘I never practice.’
- ‘Put contact details on the CD itself because letters, even sleeve notes, can get lost.’
- ‘She offers insight into her songs courtesy of her sleeve notes.’
- ‘As a teenager I had a few dozen albums and knew every crack, hiss, swear word and sleeve note on them.’
- ‘In the sleeve notes he writes intelligently about the profound personal experience of his first trip to Moscow to make the recording.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.