One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Encephalitis lethargica, a brain infection causing drowsiness and sometimes coma.See also sleeping sickness
- ‘He recognized these patients as survivors of the great pandemic of sleepy sickness that had swept the world from 1916 to 1927.’
- ‘It may result in sleepy sickness and will decrease colostrum/milk production.’
- ‘Lieberman suggests that he caught encephalitis when in military hospital in 1918, the time of the worldwide ‘sleepy sickness ' epidemic.’
- ‘African sleepy sickness is still loose in some parts of Africa.’
- ‘He recognized the patients as survivors of the 1916-1927 sleepy sickness pandemic.’
- ‘The point was often made that good conditioned cows and ewes were more susceptible to metabolic problems (milk fever, sleepy sickness) induced by stress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.