One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Encephalitis lethargica, a brain infection causing drowsiness and sometimes coma.See also sleeping sickness
- ‘He recognized these patients as survivors of the great pandemic of sleepy sickness that had swept the world from 1916 to 1927.’
- ‘Lieberman suggests that he caught encephalitis when in military hospital in 1918, the time of the worldwide ‘sleepy sickness ' epidemic.’
- ‘The point was often made that good conditioned cows and ewes were more susceptible to metabolic problems (milk fever, sleepy sickness) induced by stress.’
- ‘African sleepy sickness is still loose in some parts of Africa.’
- ‘He recognized the patients as survivors of the 1916-1927 sleepy sickness pandemic.’
- ‘It may result in sleepy sickness and will decrease colostrum/milk production.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.