Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Encephalitis lethargica, a brain infection causing drowsiness and sometimes coma.See also sleeping sickness
- ‘Lieberman suggests that he caught encephalitis when in military hospital in 1918, the time of the worldwide ‘sleepy sickness ' epidemic.’
- ‘He recognized these patients as survivors of the great pandemic of sleepy sickness that had swept the world from 1916 to 1927.’
- ‘The point was often made that good conditioned cows and ewes were more susceptible to metabolic problems (milk fever, sleepy sickness) induced by stress.’
- ‘It may result in sleepy sickness and will decrease colostrum/milk production.’
- ‘He recognized the patients as survivors of the 1916-1927 sleepy sickness pandemic.’
- ‘African sleepy sickness is still loose in some parts of Africa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.