Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A railway carriage provided with beds or berths.
- ‘The train derailed, releasing a towed locomotive that hurtled into a sleeping car and exploded, killing 11 people.’
- ‘The first thing we noticed as attendant Erika greeted us was that our sleeping car was behind four coach cars.’
- ‘The worker then walked me back to the area of my sleeping car before saying goodbye.’
- ‘The train consisted of 2 engines, baggage car, 3 coaches, lounge car, dining car, 2 sleeping cars and 3 freight cars.’
- ‘Anne Marie, our sleeping car attendant rushed the diner to get our lunch ready and delivered it to us on the platform - on the train's china plates!’
- ‘The train consisted of an express car, a combination baggage/passenger car, two coaches, a diner, and three sleeping cars.’
- ‘Many of the sleeping car passengers joined the activity and nearly all the car's seats were occupied.’
- ‘An additional 29 cars, 520025 to 520053 were converted from S, & T series sleeping cars.’
- ‘They would rendezvous with sleeping cars out of Cincinnati and Maysville, and Louisville and Lexington.’
- ‘This is fun, but if there was a sleeping car on this train, I'd be on it.’
- ‘Because that was part of this operation too: preparing westbound sleeping cars to serve the Greenbrier.’
- ‘Actually, when you figure in the meals, free coffee and soft drinks, the sleeping car is a good deal, as all your meals and drinks (except beer and alcohol) are included.’
- ‘George presented this information to the sleeping car attendant.’
- ‘I forgot to mention before that our sleeping car attendant is a really cool guy named Gary.’
- ‘It may be slower than a plane, bus or car, but for long-distance trips it has its good sides - a toilet, a dining car and a sleeping car.’
- ‘It was in fact a railway yard, 12 miles of tracks to hold 350 sleeping cars on 21 acres of land.’
- ‘Our train was a bunch of First-class sleeping cars and a dining car.’
- ‘George Pullman arrived on the scene with a design for the Pullman sleeping carriage which he originally developed to carry the dead body of Abraham Lincoln to his funeral.’
- ‘The sleeping car porters employed by the Pullman Company, who were among the better paid black workers, made $72.50 for a full month's work.’
- ‘As I said before, our sleeping car attendant has also been very nice and available, though we haven't needed her help much.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.