One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A power-saving mode of operation in which devices or parts of devices are switched off until needed.
- ‘Before we could let him in we had to put the sleeping bag away, restart both of our computers, which had gone into sleep mode, and switch on more lights at our end of the room.’
- ‘Activating the built-in sleep mode on your PC's display will help conserve electricity and save more money than you might think.’
- ‘Keep your laptop switched on in sleep mode, which will save time in case security inspectors ask you to turn it on to prove it's a working computer.’
- ‘Lastly, the printer consumes a paltry 12W in sleep mode (80W in standby and 340 when fully awake) and the whole thing heats up in just 45 seconds.’
- ‘The spacecraft went into a sleep mode and was later reawakened by ground controllers as a final test of its on-board software.’
- ‘Power can be conserved by leaving sensors in sleep mode most of the time; internal timers or network signals activate them only when they are needed to take a measurement or pass on a signal.’
- ‘A PC with a screensaver going can use well over 100 watts of power, compared with only about 10 watts in sleep mode.’
- ‘Picking up the pen, the tapped the magnet tip to his computer screen, rousing it from its sleep mode.’
- ‘Since they're always in sunlight, they never have to go into a sleep mode and there's a greater science return for the dollar.’
- ‘The device isn't intended to be switched on and off regularly; instead, you put it into sleep mode, which gives you an ‘instant on’ tablet.’
- ‘Flat-panel computer screens, for example, and equipment that has a sleep mode all reduce a facility's internal load.’
- ‘About 10 pm I was sitting and watching TV when the computer, which was in sleep mode, suddenly began to buzz.’
- ‘The sudden collision had put her system into sleep mode to prevent any additional damage normally caused by power surges or corrupted software.’
- ‘Office equipment must automatically switch to a low-power sleep mode after a certain period of inactivity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.