One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A celebrity.‘a reality show in which slebs cook for other slebs in a faux restaurant’as modifier ‘sleb culture’
- ‘Firstly, why do the sometimes ill-informed witterings of 'slebs' command such attention in the first place?’
- ‘This, of course, is intensified with our tabloid sleb-watching culture, which is more prevalent today than ever.’
- ‘Apparently, he's fronting up some anti-drink driving campaign, and he falls into the usual sleb trap there, too.’
- ‘Celebrities (or 'slebs' if you prefer the new, derogatory term) have been fair game for a while and, if you are going to be cruel, you need a more worthy target than TV chefs and ex-soap stars.’
- ‘Going to Berlin to visit Berghain is like going to London and meeting for a pint in The Punchbowl (or whatever Madonna's sleb pub is called).’
- ‘Whenever some burnt-out glossy magazine art director can't summon an iota of inspiration over what to do with some lady sleb, he'll always resort to dressing her up as one of a handful of icons.’
- ‘Raconteurs like Peter Ustinov were once the stars of chat shows before they dumbed down and the guests became one long procession of slebs trying to sell something, whether it be CD, book, film or whatever.’
- ‘Now, 35 years later, Andy Warhol's Interview magazine is credited with inventing 'sleb' culture, says Colin McDowell’
- ‘I'm sick of sleb culture.’
- ‘All those trendy slebs who protested against mining might consider which will ruin the land more: some prospecting for minerals or having 100 tour buses of obese tourists schlepping through our pristine reserves?’
- ‘He's managed to stay calm and controlled when the other slebs have been going a bit mad, and just got on with the winning.’
- ‘She just comes across as a sleb, while Anna has something real.’
- ‘They'll watch sleb BB, so we don't have to.’
- ‘Six months later, she took up with a "sleb."’
1990s: representing a colloquial pronunciation of celeb.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.