One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North Eurasian and North American grebe with reddish underparts and a black and gold crest.
- ‘Podiceps auritus; the Slavonian grebe is the only grebe-species breeding on Iceland.’
- ‘This is compatible with the Slavonian grebes and there is also a code of conduct for anglers which amongst other things asks them to keep clear of the sedge beds.’
- ‘By October the winter birds had arrived, with excellent views of Red-necked and Slavonian grebes, Scaup and Whooper swans.’
- ‘The Slavonian grebes are still on the River just above the Bridge.’
- ‘The sighting of the week was undoubtedly, for a change, a rarity, as I went along to Loch Ruthven to see if the Slavonian grebes were back again.’
Slavonian from medieval Latin S(c)lavonia ‘country of the Slavs’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.