A North Eurasian and North American grebe with reddish underparts and a black and gold crest.
- ‘Podiceps auritus; the Slavonian grebe is the only grebe-species breeding on Iceland.’
- ‘This is compatible with the Slavonian grebes and there is also a code of conduct for anglers which amongst other things asks them to keep clear of the sedge beds.’
- ‘The sighting of the week was undoubtedly, for a change, a rarity, as I went along to Loch Ruthven to see if the Slavonian grebes were back again.’
- ‘By October the winter birds had arrived, with excellent views of Red-necked and Slavonian grebes, Scaup and Whooper swans.’
- ‘The Slavonian grebes are still on the River just above the Bridge.’
Slavonian from medieval Latin S(c)lavonia country of the Slavs.