One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the branch of the Indo-European language family that includes Russian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian (Eastern Slavic), Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Sorbian (Western Slavic), and Bulgarian, Serbian, Croatian, Macedonian, and Slovene (Southern Slavic).
- ‘Bulgarian is a south Slavic language, closely related to Serbo-Croatian and Slovenian and more distantly to Russian.’
- ‘Slovak is a member of the Western Slavic language group.’
- ‘Macedonian is a South Slavic language in the Indo-European family whose closest relatives are Bulgarian and Serbian.’
- ‘Serbo-Croatian belongs to the Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family.’
- ‘Ukrainian is an Indo-European language of the Eastern Slavic group.’
- 1.1 Relating to or denoting the peoples of central and eastern Europe who speak any of these languages.
- ‘The first groups of Macedonian Americans tended to congregate in areas where there were other Southern Slavic populations.’
- ‘They gave impetus to the spiritual life of the Eastern Orthodox Slavic community.’
- ‘The girl then continued to rave on about all the nations that were better than the Eastern European Slavic nations.’
- ‘Ancestors of the Bosnians, Slavic people of central Europe, first settled in the region that is modern Bosnia in the fifth century.’
- ‘Several of the Slavic states of eastern Europe aided the refugees, while many Russians settled in Paris, Berlin, and the western hemisphere.’
The Slavic languages collectively.See also Slavonic
- ‘Original Yiddish was written in Hebrew letters and was a mixture of Hebrew, Slavic, and German.’
- ‘East Slavic is generally thought to converge to one Old Russian language, which existed until at least the 12th century.’
- ‘Slavic is further divided into western and eastern subgroups.’
- ‘Since ancient times, very substantial strata of Latin and of Slavic and Turkish have been added to Albanian, making the older strata more difficult to analyze.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.