One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A maidservant, especially a hard-worked one.‘you think it's safe to leave the household slaveys with our gear?’
drudge, servant, general factotum, maid of all work, man of all work, lackey, minion, galley slaveView synonyms
- ‘Anyhow… I have read about some slaveys that had very lavish opulent lifestyles because their owners were very caring.’
- ‘Finally it was necessary to turn to the servants, the kitchen help, the slaveys and the poultry keepers, with their red and dirty hands.’
- ‘I like being a countess, especially if it means slaveys to run my bath and fan me with peacock feathers!’
- ‘The trades have been full of stories about wholesale firings; panicky studios have cut salaries of office slaveys and minor employees.’
- ‘Why should they allow their slaveys to own and use land?’
1A member of a Dene people of north-western Canada.
- ‘The North Slavey inhabited mountainous areas of the Northwest Territories and hunted mainly caribou and buffalo, using bow and arrows, spears, clubs, snares and twisted sinew.’
- ‘In Pre-European times the area was occupied by various Indian tribes of the Athapascan language group, including Slaveys and Mountain people in the vicinity of Bear River.’
- ‘Like the Beaver, the Slaveys had a tradition of prophets.’
- ‘Often ruthless and ferocious, Beaulieu was the bitter and brutal enemy of the Dogribs, Slaveys and Sekanis, and is said to have killed 12 people with his own hands.’
- ‘The South Slavey hunted caribou and moose in the forests and along riverbanks.’
2mass noun Either of the two languages (North and South Slavey) spoken by the Slavey.
- ‘Those older than young people still use South Slavey in smaller, isolated communities, but there is serious attrition among children and young people.’
- ‘The main languages used by the Natives of Fort Simpson are South Slavey and English.’
- ‘Languages spoken in the community are North Slavey and English.’
- ‘54% indicated that North Slavey was their most fluent language and 45% use it most frequently at home.’
- ‘In the seven western regions, North Slavey, Dogrib, English, and French are offered as languages of instruction.’
Relating to the Slavey or their languages.
- ‘Read a complete summary of the Mackenzie Gas Project in the North Slavey language.’
- ‘A Slavey Indian trapper, John Tetso lived and worked where the Liard River meets the Mackenzie in the Northwest Territories.’
- ‘Besides the accumulation of a variety of northern meals, the publication is also a project to preserve the South Slavey dialect.’
- ‘It was followed by Dene, Inuktitut, Slavey, Dogrib and Ojibway translations.’
- ‘The South Slavey language will disappear within 50 years if something isn't done to save it immediately.’
Translating Cree awahkān ‘captive, slave’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.