One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The procuring, transporting, and selling of human beings as slaves, in particular the former trade in black Africans as slaves by European countries and North America.
- ‘Muslims were involved in the trans-Saharan slave trade, as well as more legitimate trade.’
- ‘The slave trade was a horrible stain on our country's history, but we need to move on in order for us to achieve.’
- ‘The slave trade and ivory attracted the interest of other European countries.’
- ‘The South African document singles out the trans-Atlantic slave trade for censure.’
- ‘The prize these early imperialists craved was control of the West African slave trade.’
- ‘This figure does not include the Arab slave trade nor the flourishing trade in slaves within Africa.’
- ‘While Europeans conducted the slave trade, Africans too were responsible for it.’
- ‘In order to white-wash the European slave trade, they find it convenient to start by minimising the numbers concerned.’
- ‘And we are united on the issue that the Atlantic slave trade was a crime against humanity.’
- ‘Even the African slave trade enriched the rulers and merchants who supplied the slaves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.