One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the southern states of the US in which slavery was legal before the Civil War.
- ‘The Statutes of the Slave States not only make no provision for a general Emancipation, but they obstruct and prevent Emancipations by the Master.’
- ‘The publication in 1862 of Charles Ingersoll's pro-Southern pamphlet, ‘Letter to a Friend in a Slave State,’ marked the end of the elite dissenters' restraint.’
- ‘‘We are in favor of making Kansas a ‘Slave State’ if it should require half of the citizens of Missouri, musket in hand, to emigrate there,’ declared the Liberty Democratic Platform.’
- ‘He wrote a book - Letters from the Slave States - which contains interviews with plantation owners and former slaves.’
- ‘The Red States were Slave Importing States, and the Pink States Were Slave States that Exported Slaves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.