One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who makes others work very hard.‘she was far too easy-going to be a slave driver’
taskmaster, hard taskmaster, taskmistress, hard taskmistress, tyrantView synonyms
- ‘In the eyes of someone who just sees a fragment of my life, they may see me as a dictator, they may see me as a slave driver.’
- ‘Horror stories have been cited of unfortunate junior doctors being forced to work entire weekends on their own with no sleep or food by slave driver health board paymasters.’
- ‘They were constantly telling us that we were slave drivers and refusing to do chores for health and safety reasons.’
- ‘Dick has long been the slave driver of the group as far as getting things ready are concerned.’
- ‘He's a bit of a slave driver.’
- ‘He was a slave driver and really made people work.’
- ‘You're such a slave driver!’
- ‘An athlete often needs more of a companion than a slave driver.’
- ‘The girls had joked that I was a slave driver even at sleepovers.’
- ‘Next time you call your boss a "slave driver" watch out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.