One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Africa) a large bell hung between two whitewashed pillars, formerly used to summon slaves and mark the beginning and end of work periods.
- ‘The old slave bell, used to call in the slaves from the field, still hangs from the giant oak tree near the ‘big’ house.’
- ‘This photograph depicts employees standing under the old slave bell at the Soledad estate.’
- ‘There they rested until the slave bell tolled at dawn the next day of labor.’
- ‘Examples of such buildings, depicted on this stamp, are The Slave Lodge in Cape Town and the slave bell at Vergelegen in Somerset West.’
- ‘The lodge housed up to 200 slaves at a time and the slave bell may still be seen.’
- ‘The old slave bell used to call slaves in from the field still hangs from an oak near the main house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.