One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Africa) a large bell hung between two whitewashed pillars, formerly used to summon slaves and mark the beginning and end of work periods.
- ‘There they rested until the slave bell tolled at dawn the next day of labor.’
- ‘The lodge housed up to 200 slaves at a time and the slave bell may still be seen.’
- ‘Examples of such buildings, depicted on this stamp, are The Slave Lodge in Cape Town and the slave bell at Vergelegen in Somerset West.’
- ‘The old slave bell used to call slaves in from the field still hangs from an oak near the main house.’
- ‘The old slave bell, used to call in the slaves from the field, still hangs from the giant oak tree near the ‘big’ house.’
- ‘This photograph depicts employees standing under the old slave bell at the Soledad estate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.