One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman or her appearance) dirty and untidy.‘a slatternly housekeeper’
slovenly, untidy, messy, scruffy, unkempt, ill-groomed, dishevelled, frowzy, blowsyView synonyms
- ‘Now I wonder how he sees my slatternly ways given his own promptness.’
- ‘Housework in the 1950s was also a big deal, and I say that not with the slatternly view that not all dirt is a bad thing, but rather in admiration.’
- ‘A most fitting tribute for such a slatternly housekeeper.’
- ‘Vain, shallow and slatternly, it is not what our grandfathers died for.’
- ‘One is smart but ill at ease; one is slatternly but gorgeous.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.