One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pencil made of soft slate used for writing on slate.
- ‘Eventually, the slate pencil was replaced by soft chalk, making it easier to write.’
- ‘The manufacture of slate pencils from soapstone is an industry as old as the manufacture of slates.’
- ‘It might be interesting if you do a bit of extra research to find out exactly what a slate pencil was.’
- ‘Slates and slate pencils were the forerunner of the whiteboard, and were the greatest paper saving device known.’
- ‘Vintage slate pencils become increasingly more difficult to find, so many become broken over the years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.