Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounSouth African
A slate-like shale used for flooring and tiling.
- ‘The house therefore incorporates elements such as a thatched roof, gnarly pole finishes and a large slasto deck that runs around the West and South facades.’
- ‘The slasto tiles used in the Lodge are from South Africa.’
- ‘Timber decking is also proving to be a popular alternative to slasto or brick paving around swimming pools.’
- ‘The interior floor coat has been successfully used on cement, slasto, bricks and cork tiles.’
- ‘I have tried granite as well but it is substantially heavier (too heavy) and is not as sonically dead as slasto.’
Blend of slate and stone.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.