Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hard shot made by raising the stick just above or below the waist before striking the puck with a sharp slapping motion.→ slapper
- ‘But his trademark hard, accurate outlet passes, his ability to skate the puck out of trouble and his wicked slap shot are back.’
- ‘He has a cannon of a shot, whether it is his slap shot or wrist shot.’
- ‘His way of calling out an opposing player was to whistle a high, hard slap shot to serve notice of his intent.’
- ‘He has a quick release, a hard slap shot and a bit of a temper.’
- ‘Or maybe his cage will become dislodged, but he'll stand in there maskless and stare down a slap shot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.