Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Positioned or directed in a sloping or oblique direction.‘the slanting beams of the roof’‘the slanting rays of the evening sun’
- ‘One pair is identical in orientation, creating a corridor of parallel, slightly slanting walls.’
- ‘As the ship went down, survivors in nearby rafts could see the four chaplains, arms linked and braced against the slanting deck.’
- ‘The guests in the upper deck do not risk getting drenched in the rain, since the boat has a slanting roof.’
- ‘He thought of the blurred oval of light on the slanting bedroom ceiling, the silence of the dark house.’
- ‘A slanting cut allows moisture to run off away from the bud, which would otherwise rot.’
- ‘The narrow wedge of space under the slanting roof is open to keep out rain but allow in light and air.’
- ‘Even the road, usually a flat gray path, glowed like a soft yellow ribbon in the slanting, weakening sun.’
- ‘A darkened backward slanting vertical bar is present beneath the eyes.’
- ‘Unfortunately about 40 minutes into the cave we came to a slanting rift that I found bit awkward.’
- ‘At the left end of the slanting table is the knob of the tension screw.’
- ‘The slanting rays of the sun accentuated the folds and valleys.’
- ‘According to the principles of calligraphy, writing should be upright or slanting to the right.’
- ‘Her slanting, unblinking eyes had a snakelike malevolence.’
- ‘There was a choppy sea & a slanting wind bringing all the water & spray on deck.’
- ‘Mellow chestnut forests, vineyards and fertile farmland glow golden in the slanting sunlight and the whole island overflows with harvest plenty.’
- ‘It is, though, a desirable middle-class property, as it sits along with its uniform neighbours on the slanting road.’
- ‘That brilliantly slanting September sun followed me all the way to my destination.’
- ‘Also called ribbon stalactite, cave bacon forms when water flows through a crack in a slanting ceiling.’
- ‘For brief moments the rain would relent, teasingly, then come slashing into the arena in slanting waves.’
- ‘The V-shaped rear window fits in perfectly with the slanting windscreen.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.