Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Using or denoting slang:‘the style is so slangy as to be incomprehensible’
colloquial, vernacular, idiomatic, demotic, non-standard, popular, dialectal, non-literaryView synonyms
- ‘The book, which comes in very large print with photos every two pages, travels back and forth in time in a slangy, stream-of-consciousness tone.’
- ‘Rather, the writing spoofs the witty, slangy, often over-written dialogue of movies and radio broadcasts of the time.’
- ‘I'm sorry to be slangy, but this automatic writing must have started from somewhere.’
- ‘These two spoke in a slangy language which was virtually incomprehensible to anyone hearing it for the first time, though by repetition week by week a mental glossary could be constructed.’
- ‘Angel speaks of the cultist with contempt and his typical slangy eloquence.’
- ‘There are several slangy / derogatory expressions in English that I really detest and would never use.’
- ‘Olivia has that irresistible Anglo-Aussie accent instead of the slangy, lowdown vernacular of the Hollywood girls of her era.’
- ‘Female speech tends to be evaluated as more ‘correct’ or more ‘prestigious’, less slangy, etc.’
- ‘So the slangy expressions ‘to have a thing about’ or ‘the thing is’ etc. actually hark back to this interesting history.’
- ‘Québecois French was more slangy and… ‘different’ from the ‘Standard French’ she learned, which was mostly the European French.’
- ‘His hosts are dumbstruck when their language is used against them with such slangy glee.’
- ‘Maybe the broadcasting experience honed her writers' voice - one that was chiding, enthusiastic, slangy, argumentative, and sometimes bossy.’
- ‘Not that Tóibín's language is jarringly contemporary or slangy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.