One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Actions performed via the Internet in support of a political or social cause but regarded as requiring little time or involvement, for example signing an online petition or joining a campaign group on social media.‘such email alerts make slacktivism easy’
- ‘The essence of slacktivism is the sensation that you've accomplished something of political impact when you've done nothing.’
- ‘E-petitions are the latest manifestation of slacktivism, the search for the ultimate feel-good that derives from having come to society's rescue without having had to actually get one's hands dirty or open one's wallet.’
- ‘Slacktivism comes in many forms but its key defining characteristic is its central theme of doing good with little or no effort on the part of person inspired to participate in the forwarding, exhorting, collecting, or e-signing.’
- ‘You can make the case that slacktivism is important because it makes people feel affiliated to a movement and be part of it, and talk about it.’
- ‘This article examines whether performing acts of political participation on the Internet should be seen as slacktivism or as virtual activism.’
- ‘For all the negative talk about slacktivism, people are failing to recognize that there is actually a huge response coming from the community.’
- ‘Digital activism is not slacktivism.’
- ‘Likewise, it's slacktivism that prompts us to want to join a boycott of designated gas companies or eschew buying gasoline on a particular day rather than reduce our personal consumption of fossil fuels by driving less and taking the bus more often.’
- ‘In recent months, referring to much of online activism as ineffectual "slacktivism" has become increasingly popular.’
- ‘Most critics acknowledge that there is a political core in slacktivism, even if it may be very well hidden.’
- ‘I'm not saying there aren't problems in the world, but slactivism won't solve a single one of them.’
1990s: blend of slacker and activism.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.