Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The state of the tide when it is turning, especially at low tide.‘the key is to come through as close to slack water as possible’
- ‘Satisfied with the slack water the twin outboard engines were knocked into neutral as the gas divers were given the word to go.’
- ‘It is essential to dive this wreck at slack water, about 2.5-3 hours after high and low tide.’
- ‘With a short slack water and the tide by now picking up, there is little point ascending the shotline.’
- ‘The bead-head Prince nymph landed in the slack water close to the far bank.’
- ‘It is situated in an area of strong tides, so slack water is essential.’
- ‘Choose a neap tide and slack water in good weather conditions, and even then there is normally a healthy swell with which to contend.’
- ‘Only the slack water period goes really dead though, and tope can show at anytime.’
- ‘Tiny strands of fuzz caught our attention by gently waving in the completely slack water.’
- ‘During slack water, tugs tow freight barges and rafts of logs through the narrows with scant room to manoeuvre.’
- ‘Because of its position, the tides are always on the run, and slack water is rare on hard springs.’
- ‘Tides are quite complicated, with the time of slack water varying throughout the islands.’
- ‘By taking the boat east, diving, then heading west, you don't have to wait a full tide between slack water.’
- ‘At slack water there is always the option of descending the buoy line.’
- ‘He used pole and maggot in the marginal slack water for a mixed net of small roach and perch scaling 3lb 9oz.’
- ‘Having started early, we have plenty of time to wait for the next slack water and dive another wreck.’
- ‘Just beyond it the slack water held a large amount of silvers.’
- ‘Some people come in too quickly pushing against the tide, get into the slack water, and are pushed forward.’
- ‘This rig is a good choice for slack water and light tide flow periods.’
- ‘It is best done on slack water during a neap tide; the smaller the tidal range, the better.’
- ‘They are much more likely to be found tucked into the lee of the wreck, only spreading out at slack water and on neap tides.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.