Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A recognized route followed by aircraft.‘skyways, from 18,000 to 40,000 feet, resemble a highway system’
- ‘Using anti-grav beacon technology linked with vehicle computers, the skyways allow flying cars to safely travel domestic routes at varying altitudes’
- ‘Rocket belts will increase a man's stride to 30 feet, and bus-type helicopters will travel along crowded air skyways.’
- ‘Speeding off into the skyway, the bus took flight, and the wake of the enormous vehicle blew away the hat of a young human child.’
- ‘And the highways and skyways are expected to be jammed today as the Thanksgiving weekend draws to a close.’
- ‘We've cleared airspace for you, and it's a perfectly sunny day throughout the skyway you'll be traveling.’
- ‘As motorways become more and more clogged up with traffic, a new generation of flying cars will be needed to ferry people along skyways.’
- ‘The VASC captured futuristic designs in a special NASA display that shows airplane concepts that may some day fly on an interstate skyway.’
- ‘Port Town uses skyways and starships make less pollution than cars, so you probably did see stars… a rarity in any city these days.’
2A covered overhead walkway between buildings.‘a second-storey skyway links the two shops’
- ‘Walk along the arterial skyway, and below you will see a sea of bus stands.’
- ‘He crossed the skyway and waited in the first security check line.’
- ‘Around '95 I opened a recording studio in an office building that was part of the skyway system in downtown St. Paul.’
- ‘The party reaches the top of the tower and crosses a short skyway and ends up in another large room.’
- ‘Glistening windows ran past us as we flew by the skyscrapers, a skyway level above the evening traffic.’
- ‘A Striker suddenly waltzed around the corner and started through the skyway towards him.’
- ‘There are catwalk skyways, a mezzanine bar, and lots of roomy, Steven Seagal-era power banquettes made of shiny black vinyl.’
- ‘Road overbridges and underbridges, skyways and walkways are welcome, but people must be educated on their use.’
- ‘But around two o'clock, the skyway level slows way down.’
- ‘You still see people cross the road in the middle of traffic, though there is a skyway or a subway for them.’
3A raised motorway.‘over the marsh rises the Pulaski Skyway, a mile-long flyover’
- ‘A major skyway nearby had been shattered completely, the ruined cars forming a junkyard at the bottom of the long drop.’
- ‘I finally woke for good as we were on the Chicago skyway bridges.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.