One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A very tall building of many storeys.
- ‘The fire illuminated a colossal figure that stood about as tall as a skyscraper.’
- ‘Finding no skyscrapers and tall buildings from which he can swing, he looks for an alternative.’
- ‘The rolling hills covered in green grass, dotted with dark southern pines that seem bigger than the tallest skyscraper.’
- ‘They're not building towering skyscrapers of glass and steel in Brooklyn.’
- ‘A siren echoed through the tall skyscrapers, and faded beneath the noise of the city.’
- ‘Foster's will be the tallest of 60 skyscrapers to be built there in the next few years.’
- ‘Masterton said there were good reasons for building skyscrapers and spectacular towers.’
- ‘The competition winners believe the design will surprise residents who fear skyscrapers and space age buildings.’
- ‘In Hong Kong, there is also a plan to build a skyscraper over 480 metres tall.’
- ‘He was surrounded by tall skyscrapers, their towering heights lost in the inky blackness of a night sky.’
- ‘There are more fields to go into like shipbuilding and building skyscrapers and bridges and stuff.’
- ‘The city was overcrowded with tall skyscrapers and noisy vehicles of all sorts.’
- ‘Tall skyscrapers loomed above us and a million cars drove in all different directions.’
- ‘In the latter case, as in much of the book, the skyscraper as a work of architecture is beside the point.’
- ‘In some skyscrapers, storey upon storey of offices were alight, although others were not.’
- ‘The city arose in their view, the tall skyscrapers sweeping the skyline.’
- ‘More and taller skyscrapers as well as suburban shopping malls were on the way.’
- ‘Last year the city announced a ban on the building of new skyscrapers.’
- ‘Liverpool had the first of these hotel/apartment skyscrapers and will soon get a second.’
historical A triangular skysail.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.