Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport of jumping from an aircraft and performing acrobatic manoeuvres in the air under free fall before landing by parachute.
- ‘The 50-year-old did his first jump for charity in 1983 and soon became addicted to skydiving, taking part in a host of competitions.’
- ‘The aircraft belonged to Skydive Thailand, which takes passengers for skydiving.’
- ‘You can keep fishing - skydiving is the extreme sport for me.’
- ‘Some people get over their acrophobia by going skydiving or bungee jumping.’
- ‘Fifteen years ago, skydiving did not have full-time teams.’
- ‘This was rather puzzling, because she had been exercising vigorously until 10 days earlier, and enjoyed the sport of skydiving.’
- ‘Not only do they jump out of perfectly good airplanes - they name parachutes and skydiving schools after Icarus.’
- ‘His goal is simple, the perpetuation of the sport of skydiving.’
- ‘They have been actively involved in sport all their lives, from athletics to skydiving, from basketball to scuba diving.’
- ‘We weren't thrill seekers jumping off cliffs, or skydiving, or driving fast vehicles, but we did what many of you do.’
- ‘And she's into skydiving, hang-gliding and bungee jumping!’
- ‘It is similar to the maneuvers I perform in freefall while skydiving.’
- ‘Since he got involved in skydiving in 1980, Colonel Strand has accumulated approximately 1,600 jumps.’
- ‘Sky surfing is skydiving with a special board that lets the jumper perform tricks in mid-air.’
- ‘We've both done some skydiving, bungee jumping, and whitewater rafting.’
- ‘I'd had many adventures and skydiving seemed merely the next in line.’
- ‘But the statistics show that skydiving is one of the safest sports in the world; driving to a dropzone is generally more dangerous.’
- ‘And different experiences are something that Julie has thrown herself headlong into, including free-fall skydiving and abseiling.’
- ‘Gilbert bet that he would try skydiving if Roddick won his first Masters tournament.’
- ‘Treut shows them partying, having dinner, skydiving, riding motorcycles, performing their art, and having fun.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.