One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or activity of jumping from an aircraft and performing acrobatic manoeuvres in the air under free fall before landing by parachute.
- ‘This was rather puzzling, because she had been exercising vigorously until 10 days earlier, and enjoyed the sport of skydiving.’
- ‘The aircraft belonged to Skydive Thailand, which takes passengers for skydiving.’
- ‘Some people get over their acrophobia by going skydiving or bungee jumping.’
- ‘Not only do they jump out of perfectly good airplanes - they name parachutes and skydiving schools after Icarus.’
- ‘Since he got involved in skydiving in 1980, Colonel Strand has accumulated approximately 1,600 jumps.’
- ‘It is similar to the maneuvers I perform in freefall while skydiving.’
- ‘They have been actively involved in sport all their lives, from athletics to skydiving, from basketball to scuba diving.’
- ‘We've both done some skydiving, bungee jumping, and whitewater rafting.’
- ‘Gilbert bet that he would try skydiving if Roddick won his first Masters tournament.’
- ‘Treut shows them partying, having dinner, skydiving, riding motorcycles, performing their art, and having fun.’
- ‘Fifteen years ago, skydiving did not have full-time teams.’
- ‘I'd had many adventures and skydiving seemed merely the next in line.’
- ‘And she's into skydiving, hang-gliding and bungee jumping!’
- ‘We weren't thrill seekers jumping off cliffs, or skydiving, or driving fast vehicles, but we did what many of you do.’
- ‘His goal is simple, the perpetuation of the sport of skydiving.’
- ‘But the statistics show that skydiving is one of the safest sports in the world; driving to a dropzone is generally more dangerous.’
- ‘And different experiences are something that Julie has thrown herself headlong into, including free-fall skydiving and abseiling.’
- ‘You can keep fishing - skydiving is the extreme sport for me.’
- ‘The 50-year-old did his first jump for charity in 1983 and soon became addicted to skydiving, taking part in a host of competitions.’
- ‘Sky surfing is skydiving with a special board that lets the jumper perform tricks in mid-air.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.