One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A luxurious enclosed seating area high up in a sports arena.
- ‘Earlier this month I posted a roster of congressional staffers given tickets for a WWF event at the Abramoff skybox back in October 2000.’
- ‘He looked up to the skybox area at the top of the building, where a boss would overlook the work of his employees, to see Tussic waving at him.’
- ‘You could catch Favre stealing an occasional glance up at the skybox where Irvin used to sit and watch him play.’
- ‘They rented a skybox like the other broadcasters.’
- ‘Nascar hasn't been marketed to the masses for some time now (think of skyboxes, corporate suites, etc.).’
- ‘Now she has her own skybox, where she entertains board members with twelve-year-old scotch, served by twenty-year-old interns.’
- ‘They did lots of things to improve the amount of money the team brought in, though, like installing lights and skyboxes.’
- ‘While working with Abramoff, Ralston arranged fundraisers and events at Washington MCI Center skyboxes for members of Congress.’
- ‘Please, join me tomorrow at the preliminaries in the skybox.’
- ‘The skybox was simple, decorated with large pictures of Secretariat, Sea Biscuit, Man O’ War, and other racing greats.’
- ‘I enjoy a sunny afternoon at the ballpark on occasion, and I can appreciate a well-stocked skybox just as much as the next guy.’
- ‘Or maybe you'll spot your favorite celeb in the VIP skyboxes at Rain Nightclub, the hottest dance club in Las Vegas.’
- ‘No one's forcing anyone to buy skybox seats, tune in to Monday Night Football or plunk down a Ben Franklin for that replica jersey.’
- ‘The home of the Chargers is too small and, even more importantly, far too short on skyboxes.’
- ‘A flat array in the vertical plane will send too much energy toward reflective areas such as skyboxes and wall surfaces.’
- ‘The Crescent City became the Super Bowl of disasters and we had skybox seats.’
- ‘We can't have one official in a skybox controlling the tempo of a game.’
- ‘They hit the door to the skybox area only to find it locked.’
- ‘Dead Center uses no new technology, just a new philosophy equivalent to trading skybox seats on the 50-yard line for the upper deck.’
- ‘The Centerplate Co., which has the contract for the East and West club sections as well as the skyboxes, stepped up the fare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.