Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport of jumping from an aircraft and surfing through the air on a board before landing by parachute.
- ‘Just watch ESPN2 and it's clear that new ‘extreme sports’ are cropping up faster than you can say aerial skiing, sky surfing or cliff diving.’
- ‘He is a former Belgian sky surfing champion and a member of a Himalayan expedition that climbed Annapurna without oxygen.’
- ‘The Belgian adventurer has achieved international success in sports from sky surfing to Davis Cup tennis.’
- ‘Both websites provide loads of information on sky surfing and some pictures as well.’
- ‘That really helped not only the sport of sky-diving but also sky surfing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.