Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An armed guard who travels incognito on certain commercial flights, trained to take action in the event of a hijack or other violent criminal action.
- ‘Security is the primary job of a sky marshal; they're expected to learn how to use a gun.’
- ‘You are going to let them believe you're a sky marshal?’
- ‘An on-board sky marshal detained the individual and the plane landed safely.’
- ‘But how does it have a deterrent impact if you don't know who the sky marshal is, if they're dressed in regular clothes?’
- ‘Still on the question of guns, are we going to feel safer with an armed sky marshal in Economy Class?’
- ‘We've had a lot of talk about sky marshals battling terrorists in the air.’
- ‘A sky marshal claimed Mr Bizzaro gave a ‘thumbs-up’ gesture, which he interpreted as a signal to another passenger.’
- ‘Britain said on Sunday it would put armed sky marshals on some flights.’
- ‘So far, only Virgin Atlantic (in Britain) have agreed to let armed sky marshals onto their planes.’
- ‘Better that a few trained sky marshals or pilots have arms and the rest of us be disarmed.’
- ‘El Al puts at least one armed, plain clothes sky marshal on all its flights.’
- ‘How will we know who is a sky marshal and who is a terrorist?’
- ‘The problem is, if a sky marshal has a weapon and someone takes over the plane, there could be danger of overreaction.’
- ‘Airlines which were consulted during the security review had previously expressed anxiety about the sky marshal plan.’
- ‘And we should have sky marshal for the safety of the passengers in that cabin.’
- ‘Just from you looking at somebody, you never know if that individual is really a passenger or a sky marshal.’
- ‘The government is preparing to grant permission for armed US sky marshals to fly on transatlantic flights.’
- ‘Can armed sky marshals handle an attack inside the cockpit?’
- ‘His shoes were examined and he was seated in the back of the plane near a sky marshal.’
- ‘He was seated beside an armed sky marshal for that very reason.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.