Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pair of shorts with a flap across the front (and sometimes also the back) to give the appearance of a skirt.
- ‘She dressed in a bright purple spaghetti strapped tank top, a silky black skort that came up a few inches above her knees, and a pair of strappy black ankle breakers.’
- ‘When I came downstairs and met the guys I was wearing a white skort, sneakers and a white stretch tank top.’
- ‘Frankly, a film that is relying on the flesh ripping skill of its monster to scare your skorts off shouldn't be hiding its horror outside the frame.’
- ‘We agreed we couldn't miss the ceremony, and because I was wearing a golf skort, I thought that might be OK for a wedding.’
- ‘Anyone else immediately think why not just switch to wearing skorts?’
- ‘Michelle was a lightly tanned and very pretty Italian girl about my age who wore a light blue shirt and a denim skort.’
- ‘In the past few years the skirts have become skorts and the shirt has transformed into a fitted jersey.’
- ‘With a sigh and a feeling of guilt sinking into my chest heavily, I slipped on an almost-blue white skort and a loose shirt that hung a few centimeters or so above my navel.’
- ‘Once they are removed her wings dissolve onto her turning her top into a shirt and her shorts into a skort.’
- ‘She rummaged through her clothes and pulled out a halter top and a mini skort.’
- ‘She was wearing a white tight tank top and she wore a short pink skort made of a towel like fabric.’
1950s: blend of skirt and shorts.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.