One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A petty criminal of mixed ethnic origin; a hooligan.
- ‘We were laughing and having a good time but soon some skollies came looking to see what was going on.’
- ‘The cast slips in and out of well-drawn characters, being required to play anything from schoolchildren to drunken skollies.’
- ‘But this is not just about some skollies stealing and murdering.’
- ‘But my Inner Voice was getting stronger; I stuck to my principles and refused to do what the skollies [bad guys] said.’
- ‘Sometimes using colored girls for decoys, skollies waylay and rob British and American servicemen.’
Afrikaans, probably from Dutch schoelje ‘rogue’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.