One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very thin person.‘that young skinnymalinks above the shop’
skin and bone, stick, scragView synonyms
- ‘These women are real skinnymalinks, size 2 sort of thing.’
- ‘I was a super-hot skinnymalink in my younger years, or so I'm told.’
- ‘I have never been a skinnymalink, but I was proud of what my body could do.’
- ‘But hey, she makes her clothes up to Euro size 42 so she doesn't only mean for skinnymalinks to have them, does she?’
- ‘Leave that tall brooding skinnymalink out of this… And it wasn't Christian Rock, it was ‘alternative’.’
Late 19th century: origin uncertain; a Scottish children's song related the adventures of a thin man known as ‘Skinamalinky Long Leg’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.