One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young man of a subculture characterized by close-cropped hair and heavy boots, often perceived as aggressive.
- ‘I'm sure they'll enjoy being lumped in with racist skinheads and the terminally ill.’
- ‘In my period you were either a hippie or a skinhead, so I grew my hair long and listened to heavy metal.’
- ‘At the camps, thousands of skinheads and neo-Nazis are trained in military techniques.’
- ‘Every day witnesses new racist attacks, and the skinheads often kill their victims.’
- ‘By dint of its association with racist violence, the skinhead scene occupies a special, troubling place among youth subcultures.’
- ‘Of course, Chapman now states that his violent skinhead and criminal past is something that is far behind him.’
- ‘The BNP are the National Front skinheads with hair and new suits.’
- ‘Like other bands that emerged in response to the importation of the skinhead subculture, the Onkelz looked to England as a source of identity.’
- ‘The skinhead subculture that was transmitted to Germany was not the original, but the revival.’
- ‘They're mostly about skinheads and sex and violence and death.’
- ‘It subsequently moved to Germany where it became a focus of attempts to re-site the skinhead subculture in a cultural, rather than political, space.’
- ‘White soldiers include the Aryan Brotherhood, Nazi skinheads, the KKK and other groups.’
- ‘This is about bringing together skinheads, national socialists and racist activists.’
- ‘While skinhead groups are relatively rare, racist attitudes toward the Rom persist among many Slovaks.’
- ‘I strongly believe that we are all racist, in some way, that the skinhead lurks in all of us.’
- ‘The hockey hair gang will not go for the whole skinhead thing, so it had to be anarchists.’
- ‘The images of violence did not depict skinhead thugs battling with the police and their truncheons.’
- ‘And, believe it or not, they were actually quite successful for a few years in transforming racially tolerant white skinheads into violent and racist hooligans.’
- ‘So I think the struggle hasn't really changed - just that the skinhead now has longer hair and wears a suit.’
- ‘They asked me about the skinheads and wouldn't believe me about the demons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.