One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young man of a subculture characterized by close-cropped hair and heavy boots, often perceived as aggressive.
- ‘Of course, Chapman now states that his violent skinhead and criminal past is something that is far behind him.’
- ‘The images of violence did not depict skinhead thugs battling with the police and their truncheons.’
- ‘It subsequently moved to Germany where it became a focus of attempts to re-site the skinhead subculture in a cultural, rather than political, space.’
- ‘I'm sure they'll enjoy being lumped in with racist skinheads and the terminally ill.’
- ‘At the camps, thousands of skinheads and neo-Nazis are trained in military techniques.’
- ‘The BNP are the National Front skinheads with hair and new suits.’
- ‘They're mostly about skinheads and sex and violence and death.’
- ‘So I think the struggle hasn't really changed - just that the skinhead now has longer hair and wears a suit.’
- ‘The skinhead subculture that was transmitted to Germany was not the original, but the revival.’
- ‘I strongly believe that we are all racist, in some way, that the skinhead lurks in all of us.’
- ‘By dint of its association with racist violence, the skinhead scene occupies a special, troubling place among youth subcultures.’
- ‘The hockey hair gang will not go for the whole skinhead thing, so it had to be anarchists.’
- ‘This is about bringing together skinheads, national socialists and racist activists.’
- ‘They asked me about the skinheads and wouldn't believe me about the demons.’
- ‘White soldiers include the Aryan Brotherhood, Nazi skinheads, the KKK and other groups.’
- ‘In my period you were either a hippie or a skinhead, so I grew my hair long and listened to heavy metal.’
- ‘Every day witnesses new racist attacks, and the skinheads often kill their victims.’
- ‘And, believe it or not, they were actually quite successful for a few years in transforming racially tolerant white skinheads into violent and racist hooligans.’
- ‘Like other bands that emerged in response to the importation of the skinhead subculture, the Onkelz looked to England as a source of identity.’
- ‘While skinhead groups are relatively rare, racist attitudes toward the Rom persist among many Slovaks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.