Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fold of skin and underlying fat formed by pinching, the thickness of which is a measure of nutritional status.
- ‘Hand skinfold thickness was not predictive of osteoporosis.’
- ‘Each month the children's weight, length, head circumference, subscapular skinfold thickness, and mid-arm circumference were measured.’
- ‘We measured height, weight, and body fat as the mean of five skinfolds.’
- ‘We estimated percentage of body fat with the sum of 3 skinfolds in accordance with the method of Jackson.’
- ‘Underwater weighing, skinfold thickness, bioelectrical impedance and near-infrared analysis are more precise means of assessing fatness.’
- ‘All four skinfolds were added together to obtain sum of four skinfolds.’
- ‘The biceps skinfold thickness was measured as the thickness of a vertical fold raised on the anterior aspect of the arm, over the belly of the biceps muscle.’
- ‘I was so excited, I measured my waist and had skinfolds taken every week.’
- ‘Middorsal skinfold thickness was measured regularly up to 22 weeks, when the presence of multiple tumors interfered significantly.’
- ‘Some have suggested that the edema reaction, as determined by measuring the double skinfold thickness, provides a ready alternative.’
- ‘Except for a tendency to have a greater skinfold thickness, all other indicators of cardiovascular risk were remarkably similar for exposed and non-exposed.’
- ‘All four skinfolds were summed to give a combination measure of limb and trunk fat stores.’
- ‘We collected new data on measurements of the skinfold at the triceps.’
- ‘Three skinfold thicknesses were measured in all patients according to standard procedures by means of a Lafayette caliper.’
- ‘In addition, body weight, height, and skinfold thickness were measured.’
- ‘Converted to a skinfold caliper reading, Wilfork's body fat would have been about 18 percent.’
- ‘Scapular and triceps skinfold thicknesses on the right side of the body were measured in triplicate using standard techniques.’
- ‘Estimation of body fat by sum of skinfolds, as used for the calculation of percentage of BF in the current study, has limitations.’
- ‘We measured subscapular and triceps skinfolds by using a Holtain skinfold caliper (Dyfed, UK).’
- ‘The importance of these factors is supported by the findings that thicker skinfolds are associated with a lowered antibody response to vaccines.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.