One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fold of skin and underlying fat formed by pinching, the thickness of which is a measure of nutritional status.
- ‘We measured subscapular and triceps skinfolds by using a Holtain skinfold caliper (Dyfed, UK).’
- ‘Hand skinfold thickness was not predictive of osteoporosis.’
- ‘All four skinfolds were added together to obtain sum of four skinfolds.’
- ‘The biceps skinfold thickness was measured as the thickness of a vertical fold raised on the anterior aspect of the arm, over the belly of the biceps muscle.’
- ‘We estimated percentage of body fat with the sum of 3 skinfolds in accordance with the method of Jackson.’
- ‘Each month the children's weight, length, head circumference, subscapular skinfold thickness, and mid-arm circumference were measured.’
- ‘Converted to a skinfold caliper reading, Wilfork's body fat would have been about 18 percent.’
- ‘Estimation of body fat by sum of skinfolds, as used for the calculation of percentage of BF in the current study, has limitations.’
- ‘I was so excited, I measured my waist and had skinfolds taken every week.’
- ‘Scapular and triceps skinfold thicknesses on the right side of the body were measured in triplicate using standard techniques.’
- ‘Underwater weighing, skinfold thickness, bioelectrical impedance and near-infrared analysis are more precise means of assessing fatness.’
- ‘Three skinfold thicknesses were measured in all patients according to standard procedures by means of a Lafayette caliper.’
- ‘Some have suggested that the edema reaction, as determined by measuring the double skinfold thickness, provides a ready alternative.’
- ‘We collected new data on measurements of the skinfold at the triceps.’
- ‘In addition, body weight, height, and skinfold thickness were measured.’
- ‘The importance of these factors is supported by the findings that thicker skinfolds are associated with a lowered antibody response to vaccines.’
- ‘All four skinfolds were summed to give a combination measure of limb and trunk fat stores.’
- ‘Except for a tendency to have a greater skinfold thickness, all other indicators of cardiovascular risk were remarkably similar for exposed and non-exposed.’
- ‘We measured height, weight, and body fat as the mean of five skinfolds.’
- ‘Middorsal skinfold thickness was measured regularly up to 22 weeks, when the presence of multiple tumors interfered significantly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.