Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test to determine whether an immune reaction is elicited when a substance is applied to or injected into the skin.
- ‘Another important task is to investigate perceptions among nurses who perform the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘The purpose of this study was to describe how patients with allergies, asthma, or eczema perceived the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘The criteria for interpreting the reaction to the tuberculin skin test as positive are outlined in the accompanying table on page 1596.’
- ‘In eight cases, the skin prick tests were positive, although only one serological test was in agreement with the skin test.’
- ‘A skin test and sputum smears for tuberculosis were negative.’
- ‘These staff members received oral and written instruction and additional pictures of the preoperative skin test before the test period.’
- ‘Please refer to the picture of a skin test reaction and the instructions for measuring the area of induration.’
- ‘Tuberculin skin test reactions are classified as positive or negative, with the size of the induration noted.’
- ‘Allergies are diagnosed using a skin test or blood test, depending on the age and condition of the patient.’
- ‘Therefore all nursing home residents with a positive skin test or an unexplained chronic cough need chest x-rays.’
- ‘For the skin test, a reaction greater than 5 mm was considered positive.’
- ‘Bilirubin levels are easily measured with a skin test or blood test.’
- ‘Knowing the benefit of a skin test is important in making the reason for the skin test understandable.’
- ‘Even if a skin test and/or a blood test shows an allergy, a child must also have symptoms to be definitively diagnosed with an allergy.’
- ‘The methacholine skin test may elicit a positive response in patients with cholinergic urticaria.’
- ‘The third kind of skin test is called a patch test.’
- ‘A chest radiograph should be obtained for high-risk children with a skin test reaction of 5 mm or more.’
- ‘The results of this study show that participants had a pragmatic view of the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘The cost of the preoperative skin test is minimal because the test primarily is manufactured of leftover materials.’
- ‘Usually the allergist will start off with something like a skin test or a blood test.’
[with object] Perform a skin test on (someone)‘additional skin-testing of the class is planned for the future’
- ‘Subjects in the BCG-vaccinated group were not skin-tested.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.