Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Friction at the surface of a solid and a fluid in relative motion.
- ‘Interface elements are used to connect the pile and soil for skin friction and a contact pair at pile tip is used for bearing capacity.’
- ‘These effects are lessened somewhat due to reduced form and skin friction drag.’
- ‘After this work was done, Satish started his thesis work on the direct measurement of skin friction.’
- ‘Any increase in surface area will increase skin friction drag.’
- ‘Jacobs demonstrated that a high-W, low-S shell increases skin friction at low velocities because of the high surface area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.