Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large fish of the North Pacific which is an important food fish in Japan.
- ‘Sturgeon, Pacific cod, rockfishes, skilfish and schooling sablefish will swim above and below the tunnel.’
- ‘It isn't actually a cod at all but a member of the skilfish family, and its white, large-flaked meat is sweet and so rich it makes salmon seem lean.’
- ‘Sablefish is also known as Alaska cod, butterfish, coalfish, and skilfish.’
- ‘From plain old cod, which is not true at all, to Sablefish, butterfish and skilfish, this species has a number of names.’
- ‘The skilfish, Erilepis zonifer, is restricted to the continental shelfs and does not enter deep water.’
Late 19th century: from Haida sqil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.